A CAREER DEDICATED TO PUBLIC SERVICE
Jon is currently serving on the State College Borough Planning Commission and represents the Borough on the multi-municipal Centre Regional Planning Commission (CRPC). He represents the CRPC on the Coordinating Committee of the Centre County Metropolitan Planning Organization, which sets priorities and allocates funds for road, bridge, and transit projects.
During the past year he has worked with these organizations to
- Update the Centre Regional Comprehensive Plan
- Draft regulations for a new mixed use zoning district that assures the Borough's shopping centers continue to provide retail uses needed by the community
- Develop a plan for State College's neighborhoods
- Participate in the development of the Borough's Downtown Business Plan.
AS COUNTY COMMISSIONER
Jon served as Chair of the Board of County Commissioners in Centre County from 2008 through 2011. Centre County Government is the 6th largest employer in Centre County with almost 900 full and part time employees in over 30 departments. The County's annual budget is about $80 million. Human services are the largest part of the county's operations and include a nursing home as well as offices serving Senior Citizens, Veterans, Children & Youth, Adults, and those requiring help with Mental Health/Developmental Programs/Early Intervention/Substance Abuse. Jon has been an advocate for providing high quality services in a cost effective manner. He believes these services are vital to our community's quality of life.
As Commissioner, Jon served on:
- Board of Commissioners, Employees Benefit Trust, Retirement Board, Finance Committee, and Prison Board.
- SEDA-COG Board of Directors. SEDA-COG is a regional planning and economic development organization which serves 11 counties. Jon served as President of the Board in 2011.
- The Centre County Emergency Communications Advisory Committee which focused on upgrading Centre County's 9-1-1 system.
- The Centre County MPO Coordinating Committee, which allocates transportation funds to road, bridge, and transit projects.
- The Centre County MH/MR Advisory Board.
- The Seven Mountains EMS Council, which provides training and funding to emergency medical services in four counties: Centre, Clinton, Juniata, and Mifflin
AS A CANDIDATE
In 2004, 2006 and 2010, Jon challenged entrenched incumbents with sizeable warchests for their seats in the State House and State Senate.
AS COUNTY ADMINISTRATOR
Jon served in the Centre County Commissioners Office as Director of Administrative Services/Chief Clerk for over four years. He was appointed by a board with a Republican majority and served a board with a Democratic majority.
AS A COMMUNITY PLANNER
Jon worked in Centre County's Planning Office for almost 20 years and in the Snyder County Planning Office for 3 years (full and part time). He served as a part-time instructor, teaching courses on Community Planning and Subdivision Administration to citizen and professional planners.
He also held various part time jobs to help pay tuition and to make ends meet: title searcher, highway worker, library aide, kitchen aide, laborer, census taker.
Jon graduated from Susquehanna University (Selinsgrove, PA) with a BA in Political Science and Economics. He completed an MS in Geography at Penn State (University Park) while working full time.
Jon is married to Kathleen Eich (27 years). They live in State College.